New Orleans is one of the most lively cities in the U.S., known for the easygoing lifestyle of its citizens, vivid nightlife, great music and delicious food. If you’re planning a trip there, check your knowledge about the city with these 10 interesting facts about New Orleans.
1. You are allowed to drink alcohol on the streets.
2. Even better – there are drive through daiquiri joints!
3. The dental floss was invented in 1815 by a dentist from New Orleans named Levi Spear Parmly.
4. There are no basements in New Orleans, as the city was built on natural levees along the Mississippi River and some parts of it are below sea-level.
5. You can actually order alligator meat and turtle soup in some restaurants.
6. Many celebrities like Sandra Bullock and Brad Pitt have houses in the city.
7. Lake Pontchartrain Causeway is 23.83 miles long and is the world’s longest overwater bridge.
8. The first opera performance in U.S. Sylvain by Ernest Grétry was stages in New Orleans on May 22 1796.
9. New Orleans is the birthplace of jazz and one of the most talented jazz artists of all time Louis Armstrong was also born here.
10. The Superdome in the city is one of the largest enclosed arenas in the world.